A Word From Our Sponsors

7.12.2006

You Know Me, Bud

To be honest, I don't know that much about baseball. Don't get me wrong, I know a good deal more than Joe baseball fan, but my real forte lies in basketball, or possibly even football. I don't know a lot of things. My co-blogger can often school me in baseball trivia and coversations with his fancy schmancy bp numbers which I refuse to submit to. But there are a few things that I know pretty damn well. And one of those things is steroids.
It's an ugly topic. People say they don't wanna talk about it. Well they do. This is the deepest, darkest, juciest story to hit baseball in about... 87 years. I mean for godsakes, a man playing for the San Diego Surf Dawgs (no, not dogs) called the MLB a mafia. And people listened! The whole thing is spiraling out of control, and everyone seems to have an opinion. Bud Selig has a had a whole deal of good ideas and a good deal of bad ones. Interleague play and the wild card being 2 of the former, while 'this one counts' and of course, how he is dealing with this scandal, would lie with the latter. Either way, steroids will define Selig's reign. Don't get me wrong, they'll be some guy yelling about the wild card and what a great idea it was, but no one will pay attention. The wild card is very small potatoes when compared to 'the integrity of the game'. Selig is a joke. There's no doubt about it. Even if Bonds gets indicted, more on that later, it will be a small moral victory. This goes way deeper than Bonds. Or Palmeiro or Sosa or McGuire or Giambi. This is potentially dangerous to the game of baseball. And honestly, if I were Bud Selig, I couldn't think of a better idea that just hiding this whole mess under the carpet. Because it's his fault. He has brought this upon himself. And no indictments can save him now. This thing has been put into action. Selig was too indecisive. He didn't mean for all this info to get out, but it did, and he couldn't very well let his public image be one of someone who doesn't care. 'Get me an investigaton! Call Congress! Arrest Grimsley, Anderson, do what you have to do. I want this son of a bitch Bonds behind bars or out of this game, whatever comes 1st!' It's too late. This is beyond Bonds now. This is a snowball that is not getting any smaller, and there is a very steep hill covered in snow waiting for it. Bud is in deep shit. So can you blame the guy for hiding it? Can you really call him a mobster? He's making a difficult decision, but ultimately, in his judgment, it's better for the game. And it very well may be. Do you really want a baseball world without Giambi, Pujols, Tejada, Mcguire, Sosa, yes, the never impicated Ortiz, and the list is a whole lot longer than that, all for the sake of truth? Sure, it's easy for you to say, but who are you to put the game's future at risk? Let it lie under the rug, it belongs there. Selig's doing what is necessary. As corny as it sounds, sometimes people have to do things they're not proud of in pursuit of the greater good.

And that's all I have to say for now.
More tomorrow, but no more from me on steroids for a while, I'm getting clean.

No comments: